RENOVATION PLANNING BEGINS
Recently the Venetia Heritage Society received a large donation made via a will. This money will help to facilitate various renovations in the facility. The Executive Board has been discussing options. It is also in communication with township officials as to building code requirements and future planning for the area of the township where the Community Center is located.
Facility Updates--Maintaining the integrity of the building, while ensuring the safety of its users
Venetia Community Center received new LED Outdoor lighting from LaFace & McGovern Associates in partnership with Lighthouse Electric that installed them! We are deeply appreciative to Harry McGovern for donating these lights and insuring that they were installed a timely fashion The parking lot and area behind the building are now brightly lit and provide a safer environment for those who use the building in the evening. Thank you so much to Mr. McGovern and those who installed the lights from Lighthouse!
The VHS sets goals for the organization and the facility. At its regular Executive Board meetings, the VHS has identified long term goals that will support the Purpose of the VHS as defined in our By-Laws. We do accept donations earmarked for Capital Improvements designed to help meet these specific goals. Progress to date on these goals:
* Replace broken windows and repair the main doors. The VHS is receiving new estimates on repairing the windows. A new lock system has been installed on the back door eliminating the use of metal keys. The main entrance doors will be repainted.
* Convert heating from electric to natural gas. : We are making progress in this area and have converted to gas heating in various rooms.
* Create a Venetia School/Peters Township History Museum room.: We continue to collect photos, news articles, and any available memorabilia that people may want to donate.
* Upgrade restrooms with new fixtures and heat: We have installed limited use faucets and automatic lights in the restrooms and we are looking at replacing other fixtures.
* Repaint the interior of the building The DARE Model RR Club has begun to repaint and repair the upstairs walls.
* Repoint the brick on the outside of the building. We are currently gathering estimates to have this professionally done.
* Install a new light at the base of the outdoor flag Because of the theft of the newly installed light, we are exploring other options on where to install the light.
Currently there are several local non-profit organizations using the Venetia Community Center. These organizations provide financial and other forms of support so the Community Center can be of service to the surrounding area. These groups include:
> Girl Scouts of America
> D.A.R.E. Model Railroad Club
> PT Rowing Club
> Senior citizen groups such as Area Council on Aging which provides lunch and entertainment for area senior citizens
The Venetia Community Center is available for groups or individuals to use. Please contact us using the CONTACT US tab at the top right hand side of this page or click here for more information.
Latest VHS Highlights
> VHS is working to increase its social media presence. People can follow the VHS on Facebook and instagram. Trivia, historical facts, historic photos and more are being shared with followers.
> Electronic payment is now available on our website! Members and donors to the VHS can now submit dues and contributions electronically.
> VHS is identifying new strategies to procure financial support . A committee spearheaded by David Stanton is exploring how the VHS can procure grants and other means of funding to renovate and repurpose the building.
> DARE Model RR Program is growing in size! The group has received donations of all types of trains and more youngsters are interested in participating in learning more about model trains and the Montour Railroad. The group is gaining recognition in the area and nationwide. THE DARE MODEL RR Club occupies the upstairs rooms. Most recently they have shared their trains with the Peters Township Public Library and Carnegie Science Center on its Locomotion Day! Interested in joining or supporting this group? Contact leader Dave Stanton.
> We are so thankful to persons such as the DARE Model RR Club, and the PT Rowing Club, who support VHS behind the scenes by maintaining our building and grounds. The Rowing Club has been cleaning up the outside. The Model RR Club repainting the upstairs hallway and installing a new ceiling, lights and a smoke detector.
>Membership Renewal letters for 2020 were mailed. Watch for announcements on our 2020 Drive on Facebook, Instagram, our web page, and through email. For information on membership, please click here.
.You can learn more about the VHS, Venetia Community Center and other events and buildings in the "Village of Venetia Show" featuring host Erma Grego, VHS Board Member and guest, Rev. Richard Roberts, also a VHS Board Member, on "Senior Perspectives." View the show here.
The Venetia Heritage Society has adopted a logo that was designed by Board member, David Stanton's, daughter, Ellyn. Her talent and enthusiasm for the graphic arts helped us to modernize our brand. The new logo will slowly replace the former line drawing of the school. Look for it on our stationery , website, and social media.